Re: piece of mind (Re: Moderated posts?)

On 13/10/2014 11:21 PM, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2014, Miles Fidelman wrote:
>
>> Those who are most impacted are sys admins of servers, and upstream developers
>
> I’m both, and I joined Debian to try to make an impact…
>
>> - the two communities most impacted, but that seem to have no say in the
>> matter.
>
> … but even then, am drowned by the masses.
>
> (I did not have the chance to Second the GR proposal
> because I was not even aware that there *was* one.)

Why does that not surprise me, that's really a statement, not a question.

It's clear to me that a proposal was being worked on, someone didn't
like the way that proposal was going, so they got in with a lesser and
somewhat different proposal; and they did this as quickly as they could
with the intention to pre-empt the other proposal that didn't get far
enough off the ground.  Then the new proposer made sure that there was a
very hasty vote that wasn't well enough known about.  IOW, this all
looks very, very political and it looks like the result was destined to
go that way.

A serious impediment to a GR at this time has to do with all the work
that has gone in to Jessie leading up to the freeze that is just around
the corner.  Had a suitably worded GR got up much sooner and was very
well advertised to EVERY DD to make sure they knew of it's existence,
then perhaps things might have been very, very different today.  OTOH,
it has become much more clear that systemd is much more than an init
system replacement and aspires to be even much more so [although
unfortunately many are ignoring these facts].  At least that
understanding should help a good number of DDs whom are paying attention
to take the ramifications of the change to systemd default much more
seriously.

Voting from now onwards [before as well as after the release of Jessie]
will likely mean that plenty of DDs wouldn't want to vote to undo any
works that were undertaken for the release of Jessie based on the change
of the init default to systemd; hopefully that won't taint the result
too much.

Also, hopefully Ian will get enough private emails to get a GR up and
going quickly with the merit of new GR is given proper consideration,
such that we can at least have a fair prospect of systemd being removed
from being the default init system -- at the very least.  Discussion on
- -project may still lead to no new or suitable GR, but at least that is a
step in the right direction.

The next concern I have is whether or not the private emails to Ian
should be necessary, why not at least CC that intention to this list so
that us users and system administrators can keep abreast of the progress
being made.

A.