Re: Moderated posts?

On Mon, 6 Oct 2014 17:42:14 -0400
Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Several of my posts to lists.debian.org have not made it to the list,
> as defined by both my inbox and the list archive.

I emailed listmaster@lists.debian.org, and although I didn't get a yes
or no answer to my yes or no question, there was enough to make me
suspect the following:

1) Don't respond to "obvious trolls". Although "obvious trolls" wasn't
   defined, I suspect that if a person *on your side of the issue*
   often posts in a way that makes you want to say "don't associate
   that guy with me, he doesn't speak for me", he's probably an obvious
   troll.

2) Keep your responses technical rather than gratuitously inflammatory.
   For instance, perhaps say "systemd keeps much better control of
   daemons than sysvinit" rather than "sysvinit is antiquated junk", or
   say "systemd engenders so many dependencies that it's going to be a
   troubleshooting problem", rather than saying "systemd leaves
   enough room for mockery".

Like I said, these were what I interpreted, reading between the lines.
These are nowhere near a verbatim repeat of what the Listmaster said,
but if these two things are what he meant, well, I can live with that,
always assuming it's enforced uniformly and posters are notified when
their posts go to /dev/null.

I'll try hard to conform to the preceding two principles from now on.

SteveT