Re: [exim4] mixed up about terminology

On 10/6/2014 4:19 PM, Joe wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Oct 2014 15:38:33 -0400
> Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net> wrote:
>

>> That's very interesting - because I don't have any networks specified
>> in any dc_relay_nets - yet my email goes out (and comes in) just fine.
>>

> Indeed. My server isn't listening on 587, and my MUAs all use 25. One
> might suppose that using authenticated SMTP sidesteps the relay network
> specification and possibly relay domains as well, as the server won't
> care who is connecting if they have the right password.
>
> I don't bother authenticating, as anything physically connected to my
> network (or by certificate-authenticated VPN) has permission to send
> mail, and nothing from outside meets the dc_relay_nets specification.
> Two ways to skin the same (almost) cat. Sorry, Lisi, if you're reading.

And how can you be positive your network is secure?  For instance, you
don't have a configuration error, a bug in a router, an access point
with weak encryption...  the list of potential holes is almost endless.

Any time you remove a layer of authentication, you expand the chances of
someone getting in.

Jerry