Re: [exim4] mixed up about terminology

On Mon, 06 Oct 2014 15:38:33 -0400
Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net> wrote:

> That's very interesting - because I don't have any networks specified
> in any dc_relay_nets - yet my email goes out (and comes in) just fine.

Indeed. My server isn't listening on 587, and my MUAs all use 25. One
might suppose that using authenticated SMTP sidesteps the relay network
specification and possibly relay domains as well, as the server won't
care who is connecting if they have the right password.

I don't bother authenticating, as anything physically connected to my
network (or by certificate-authenticated VPN) has permission to send
mail, and nothing from outside meets the dc_relay_nets specification.
Two ways to skin the same (almost) cat. Sorry, Lisi, if you're reading.

--
Joe