Re: [exim4] mixed up about terminology

On 10/5/2014 4:38 PM, Brian wrote:
> On Sun 05 Oct 2014 at 16:16:22 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>
>> On 10/5/2014 12:01 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm pretty sure I'm leaving out some major piece of the smtp puzzle
>>> but not at all sure what it might be.
>>
>> Two things here:
>>
>> First of all, are you sure your ISP allows connections to Port 25 on
>> other hosts?  Many ISPs (especially residential accounts) are now
>> blocking such attempts due to trojans creating spam relays.
>
> You may not have noticed but the OP is attempting to connect to machines
> on his own network and to his ISP's mail server. Please try not to bring
> confusion to an already sorted situation.

I KNOW he's trying to configure for his own network.  I also KNOW it is
connected to the internet.  My advice stands - a misconfigured exim
server can quickly become a SPAM source.  Spammers all over the world
are looking for just such servers, and quickly spread the word around.

>> Second - be *very careful* in configuring Exim.  Misconfiguration can
>> easily allow your system to become an open relay for spammers.  Such an
>> operation at a minimum can get your IP (and ISP) a bad reputation, and
>> at a maximum can get your account cancelled.
>>
>> Exim can be configured to be safe, but it's not necessarily straightforward.
>
> It's very straightforward when it is known what network exim is on.

Not necessarily.  Thinking it is very straightforward is what leads to
open relays.  Especially when you don't know what you're doing.

Jerry