Re: [exim4] mixed up about terminology

On 10/5/2014 12:01 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
> when running `dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config'  I've run accross a few
> of the questions that are confusing to me...
>
> The current one I'm stumbling over is
>
> 1)  A question about listing of host IPs the smtp listener will
>     listen for...
>
> And then later on there is
> 2) A question about which hosts your server will relay for.
>
> (NOTE: These question do not appear back to back as I have them here)
>
> I probably have this all wrong but isn't the first question referring
> to remote IPs that will be using the server as smtp server.
>
> And the second one, is referring to using the server as smart host?
> which is also as an smtp server.
>
> That is, they are the same question in different words.
>
> Incoming smtp traffic (in question 1) (I guess) is referring to mails
> sent from remote IP to smtp server IP, to be sent on there way.
>
> And in question 2 the relaying question... their talking about sending
> from remote IP to server IP to perform ... smtp service ...
>
> I'm pretty sure I'm leaving out some major piece of the smtp puzzle
> but not at all sure what it might be.

Two things here:

First of all, are you sure your ISP allows connections to Port 25 on
other hosts?  Many ISPs (especially residential accounts) are now
blocking such attempts due to trojans creating spam relays.

Second - be *very careful* in configuring Exim.  Misconfiguration can
easily allow your system to become an open relay for spammers.  Such an
operation at a minimum can get your IP (and ISP) a bad reputation, and
at a maximum can get your account cancelled.

Exim can be configured to be safe, but it's not necessarily straightforward.

Jerry