Re: Part 2 - updating squeeze to wheezy

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 19:49:16 -0400
Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:

> Sounds like you're using Gnome3 Shell and you're not too excited about
> it.  Before logging in, you can select your session to be "Gnome
> Classic" or "Gnome Fallback" (I can't remember which).  That will be
> fairly similar to the Gnome you're used to from Squeeze.  But it
> remains to be seen how long that will be an option.  It certainly
> won't disappear from Wheezy, but I'm not sure about Jessie.
>
> If you want to try something that is more likely (I think) to be
> around for a while, give LXDE or XFCE a try.
>
> apt-get install lxde
> or
> apt-get install xfce

Also try Openbox. Equipped with the right hotkeys, it's lightning
quick. Or, for that minimum footprint feeling, also try fvwm.

I can't believe how many excellent free software window manager/desktop
environments exist. Like probably about 20 or more excellent ones. LXDE
and Xfce are two of the best. I *always* have LXDE on my laptops, so
that when my IQ drops 30 points before giving a presentation, I can get
my laptop and projector resolution matched, and easily pull up my
presentation.

SteveT