Re: Part 2 - updating squeeze to wheezy

On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 05:39:20PM -0400, John Lindsay wrote:
> Thank you Clive for your reply. Here are my settings now after doing
> the change to my sources.list:
>
> >uname -a   shows:
> >Linux debian 3.2.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.2.60-1+deb7u3 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> >lsb_release -a shows
> >No LSB modules are available.
> >Distributor ID:    Debian
> >Release:    7.6
> >Codename:    wheezy
>
> I seem to have only one major problem and that is my Acer X223w
> display is not recognized and I'm only getting 1280x780 whereas
> before I was able to get a much higher range. Something to work on.
> I also think it will take a while to get used to how wheezy displays
> the desktop. I think I may hear some grumbling from my wife who also
> uses this computer.

Sounds like you're using Gnome3 Shell and you're not too excited about
it.  Before logging in, you can select your session to be "Gnome
Classic" or "Gnome Fallback" (I can't remember which).  That will be
fairly similar to the Gnome you're used to from Squeeze.  But it remains
to be seen how long that will be an option.  It certainly won't
disappear from Wheezy, but I'm not sure about Jessie.

If you want to try something that is more likely (I think) to be around
for a while, give LXDE or XFCE a try.

apt-get install lxde
or
apt-get install xfce