Re: Part 2 - updating squeeze to wheezy

On 9/27/14, Clive Standbridge <list-user@tgstandbridges.plus.com> wrote:
>> The following is what I get when I type "apt-get update" and obviously
>> it failed to update. My original sources.list (see part 1 - updating
>> squeeze to wheezy) (bottom 16 lines) had squeeze and I was getting
>> similar results.
>>
>> Later today I am going to try and shorten sources list and simplify it
>> to a minimal update using squeeze then retry with wheezy.
>
> That doesn't look like your problem.
>
> [...]
>

>> W: Failed to fetch
>> http://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/non-free/i18n/Translation-en.bz2
>> Unable to connect to ftp.ca.debian.org:http:
>
> .. and so on.
>
> Apparently ftp.ca.debian.org wasn't reachable for you at that time,
> although I can see it just now. Maybe it was a temporary error.
> Otherwise you could just change ftp.ca.debian.org to another mirror
> (e.g. ftp.debian.org which appeared to be okay for you) in this line:
>     deb http://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
>
> While you're at it, it would be advisable to change 'stable' to
> 'wheezy' in that line. It's no problem now, but could become an
> unwelcome surprise when jessie is released as stable in a year or
> two.

Am having a similar problem the last few days. I wonder, with all this
about updating bash for Shellshock, if it's not about servers being
"slashdotted" (facing a ton of unexpected traffic all coming in at the
same time). That could be one reason for not being able to access
them. The one I can't reach is a different repository entirely. In
fact as point of reference, it was kernel.org returning a similar
string of errors....

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey