Re: Let's have a vote!

On 09/28/2014 at 11:29 AM, Steve Litt wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 23:50:45 +1300 Chris Bannister
> <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 09:49:10PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:

>>> Yes. I'm a huge believer in wiping and reinstalling major
>>> versions. It's like spring cleaning, and I eliminate ghosts of
>>> operating systems past.
>>
>> And then there's the rest of us who run Debian precisely because
>> you don't have to reinstall. It's great because you only ever
>> need to install once.
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> I assume that implicit in your reply is that such a major version
> upgrade works well, and that over the years you don't get all
> sorts of accumulated software dust bunnies doing funny things to
> you.
>
> How many others here have experiences like Chris'? My opinions are
> based on Windows, Mandrake and Mandriva. By the time I got to
> Ubuntu in 2007 (and Debian in 2013), I was solidly in the habit of
> reinstalls and never tried a major version upgrade on Ubuntu or
> Debian.

I only reinstall when I build a new system, pretty much - and when I do,
I transfer across most if not all of my home-directory config files.
(Contrary to what's been suggested here recently, I haven't seen that
break anything yet.)

I did see major breakage resulting from upgrades at one point in the
past, but that was because I was habitually dist-upgrading against sid,
which is a crazy idea on a remotely "production" system to begin with. I
rebuilt on a new install as a result, took advantage of the occasion to
transition to amd64, and haven't had problems since.

I don't recall when that rebuild took place, but a directory I think was
created early post-rebuild has a timestamp of April 2011, and a few
other directories which may or may not predate the rebuild have
timestamps dating back as far as January 2008.

That's on Debian, of course. On Windows, the last time I installed an
update that wasn't a simple "Windows Update" or a full "Service Pack"
was going from Win95 to Win98, and I think we did that via a full
reinstall; nowadays I do full reinstalls for Windows major-version
upgrades, though part of that is because I only run Windows at work and
we need to organize things so that everyone has a consistent deployment
configuration anyway.

- --
   The Wanderer