Re: security camera software

On 09/25/2014 11:03 PM Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 26/09/14 01:48, Rob Owens wrote:
> [...]
Motion works by comparing pictures for changes. So auto-brightness and
glare protection are required. Masking allows you to filter out areas of
the picture (representing the view of the camera) where change doesn't
represent the sort of movement you wish to detect. So a camera that
views a gate to a paddock will show a car passing through the gate -
it'll also show animals moving in the paddock - birds and planes,
clouds, passing traffic in the distance, trees and grasses. Only a small
rectangle in the centre of the picture is needed to detect the motion of
a vehicle passing through the gate - and the sensitivity of 'motion' to
detect changes in that area of the picture is easily tuned to filter out
noise (animals wandering across that part of the view etc). The end
result is that 'motion' will then reliably detect cars driving through
that gate with few or no false positives. The pictures captured are not
masked - the mask is only used as a reference for 'motion' to compare
snapshots with.

Thanks for the great info on 'motion'.  Another features question:

My neighborhood is overrun with squirrels and chipmunks. Is it possible to configure 'motion' to ignore the movement of these small creatures within the camera's view?

How about fallen leaves blowing across the driveway?