security camera software

I need to set up a couple usb cameras to record video based on motion detection.  I prefer ease of setup to a large feature set, since this is expected to be only temporary.  I want to only record when there is motion, so I don't have hours of footage to search through.

A quick search shows recommendations for a package called 'motion'.  Does anybody here have any experience with that, or can anybody recommend something better?

-Rob