Re: security camera software

On 26/09/14 17:44, ken wrote:
> [...]
Yes to all of the above. Did you miss the above example where I have to
deal with rabbits, birds, and moving grass in the background? :)

Another example:-
I have a client whose remote property (Nth NSW) is on the fringes of the
signal from the nearest tower. His house doesn't have line of sight to
the 3G tower and is too far for a decent signal. The solution was to
install a wireless "relay" based around the TP-Link I mentioned earlier
(about $12 from an online auction site, plus a few dollars for a cheap
USB hub, a little extra RAM, and a USB key mounted as an overlay to give
more storage space - all up about $250 including weatherproof case ,
camera, and power supply). The link is powered by a solar cell which
charges a small gel battery.
To protect the relay against theft a cheap USB webcam was added - and
'motion' is used to monitor it. The camera shows the pole mounted
TP-Link (which has line of sight on the house and the tower) and will
capture an image of anyone interfering with it. But a picture of the
thief's face would not be as useful as a picture of the number plate of
the thief's vehicle. Fortunately the camera also shows the paddock gate
through which a vehicle must enter the paddock. The paddock contains
stock (cattle and horses) as well as rabbits, birds, and grasses and
trees that move in the wind - and the occasional vehicle the travels
along the road that parallels the paddock.
So a filter was created that would only show the area where a head would
appear if someone climbed the pole and reached for the computer - and
where the front of the vehicle would be if someone stopped to open the
gate before driving into the paddock (walking would be bull-baiting and
negate the need for a camera). In this instance the built-in web server
was enabled and the port forwarded so that it could be accessed via ssh
from a public web server (secured with .htaccess) so that the landholder
can view the relay and that paddock from any location that has internet
access. (in your instance, where the system is already slow I'd suggest
disabling the webserver) - you can see the last picture in the 'motion'
image save directory.
The filter removes almost 80% of the area that doesn't need to be
monitored. Open a still shot in GIMP and use a selection tool to select
the "monitored area" - hold down shift and create additional "monitoring
areas" as needed". Add a new transparent layer then invert the
selections (now the non-monitoring areas are selected). Select the
flood/fill tool, select "fill all selected area", pick the appropriate
colour and apply. Save the filter in the appropriate format (export as...).
Now that you've excluded non-relevant areas from what is monitored just
reduced the sensitivity until only large things trigger a motion event.
Now 'motion' will ignore the squirrels, birds, blowing leaves and trees
moving in the wind. Sensitivity is a setting based on the degree of
change in the monitored area (filter part of the shot). You'll need to
make a few tests to get it right - but it's not difficult or time
consuming. Use the command-line config until you're happy then make it
permanent by adding the correct settings to the config file.

Note: 'motion' compares the last image against the reference (filter)
image - not the previous image (a failing with most infared alarms that
allows slow moving intruders to drop a bucket over the monitor).

There are a number of methods of implementing SMS alerts - the one I use
is no better than the others it's just that I have a number of Google
App accounts so it suits me to use one (actually it's Calendar app) to
send free SMS messages. gcsms[*1] makes a calendar entry, Google Apps
sends the client an SMS. Sendmail sends the pictures by email.
Relatively simple.  And the client knows there's a problem, and what it
looks like, before the thief has time to leave the paddock (from where
they need to drive back past the house...).

Kind regards