Re: security camera software

On 24/09/14 23:43, Rob Owens wrote:
> I need to set up a couple usb cameras to record video based on motion
> detection.  I prefer ease of setup to a large feature set, since this
> is expected to be only temporary.  I want to only record when there
> is motion, so I don't have hours of footage to search through.

Motion fits you requirements exactly. It 'is' highly configurable - but
minimal configuration is very simple.

> A quick search shows recommendations for a package called 'motion'.
> Does anybody here have any experience with that, or can anybody
> recommend something better?
>
> -Rob

I've been using motion for a few years and highly recommend it.
Lightweight[*1], simple, and reliable.

Minimal configuration required (snapshot mode):-
Point your camera at the zone to be monitored.
Take a picture.
Edit the picture in GIMP (mask the areas you don't want monitored for
motion).
Configure motion (set sensitivity and picture frequency)
Make sure you've got enough space for the images it will generate -
after setting the frequency and archiving.
Set up your action on motion detection. I use an sms alert which
notifies me of motion and emails the picture of the event and several
minutes of photos preceding the event (bash script, sendmail, and
gcsms). That way if the cameras and computer get stolen I don't lose the
images.

[*1]I was impressed to find it runs well on $12 TP-Link TL-WR703N devices

Kind regards