Re: There is no choice

Martin Read <zen75502@zen.co.uk> writes:

> On 21/09/14 04:14, lee wrote:
>> Try to provide a Debian package and you'll see that it is so
>> ridiculously difficult that it is virtually impossible.
>
> Nothing about the process of providing a Debian package looks
> ridiculously difficult to me.

I started to read the huge documentation about how to do it and didn't
get anywhere with it.  I just put my software on github instead.

>> As you can see, it's not only Debian developers I'm disappointed with.
>> Sadly, the quality of Debian has declined over the years --- and I'm not
>> the only one saying that --- and one of the reasons for this might be
>> disregard for the users.
>
> My mileage varies; in my experience, Debian in 2014 is a
> higher-quality distribution than Debian in 2004. The obvious example
> is that sound (for all practical purposes) Just Works on my current
> Debian system (all I had to do was pop open pavucontrol and tweak the
> sliders), whereas in 2004 or 2006 it definitely didn't Just Work.

Sound worked fine here in 2004 and 2006, and before that.  I don't know
what pavucontrol is.

In 2004 and before, you were usually able to solve whatever problem you
encountered, either with help from this list or by making bug
reports. And you didn't really have any.  Over the years, you could fix
problems less and less, and you got more of them, until, IIRC, 2013 when
you were suddenly left stranded with a non-working system when you
required 32bit support.  I had to switch to Fedora --- and I could say
something about the attitude of the Debian developers back then, but I
don't because that is apparently not allowed on Debian communication
infrastructure.

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.