Re: There is no choice

* On 2014 21 Sep 08:00 -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> For what it's worth - the angst is reflected not just here, but on the
> debian-devel and the linux-kernel (kernel developers) list as well (I've
> started monitoring that to see to what extent kernel developers are starting
> to migrate to distros that haven't adopted systemd, and to which ones - no
> conclusion yet).

Perhaps I ought to get back to reading LWN on a regular basis again as
Jonathan and the gang monitor the pulse of this community rather
closely.

> Maybe systemd will give gnu/hurd, or minix, or plan 9 a boost.

I've been looking at Guix this past week after discovering it almost by
accident:

http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/

I have been working to install it to a VM.  As the latest GNU system
with Guix version 0.7 is only available as a bootable USB thumb drive
image, I am having a bit of trouble.  It doesn't seem as though Virtual
Box can boot from a USB image file so I am working with Qemu.  Qemu
seems to insist that the USB image be mounted as /dev/sda which forces
me to attach the target installation disk image as /dev/sdb.  The setup
is still a bit naive (IMO) so that Grub may get installed in the wrong
place.  I'm still working on resolving this.  It would probably work
well if I could convert the USB image into an ISO image but I haven't
found an answer to doing that yet.

Just looking at Guix for a short bit, it is a package/system manager
written in Scheme.  They are really serious about making Emacs its own
OS!  That aside the Guix GNU system is using its own init and the Linux
kernel with the non-free bits stripped out which they term Linux-libre.
Presumably this would put the Hurd on the outside looking in.  It also
poses a problem for certain hardware support which, for a variety of
reasons, relies on those non-free blobs.  Without getting political, I
presume that should Guix become a solid system that someone will offer a
respin with the full Linux kernel for better hardware support.

If nothing else, this gives me the opportunity to try out something new
just like I did 18 years ago with Slackware 3.0.

- Nate