Re: There is no choice

* On 2014 21 Sep 06:52 -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> The issue of the day (week) on debian-devel seems to be systemd-shim --
> which kind of has to work for anyone to use an alternate init system; but
> seems NOT to work (or at least lag  behind).

When systemd-shim is forced to chase the taillights of systemd, it is
doomed to always lag behind.  As the authors of systemd have apparently
opted not to constrain themselves to a stable/published API or limit the
scope of their project, systemd-shim will always be in catch up mode.

This recalls a term from the late '90s when the emerging Linux desktop
was fighting to establish itself against the Microsoft
hegemony--"Chasing MS' taillights."  It would seem that systemd-shim
faces a similar situation.

I am most concerned about the systemd project's intention to subsume
many other projects rather than simply be a cooperative member of the
vast Free Software ecosystem.  It seems to me that this is the source of
much of the angst presented here and elsewhere.  To me this is a
troubling attitude that overshadows whatever technical improvement
systemd sought to bring to the Free desktop.  The angst is a natural
reaction to this sort of invasive attitude in what has been mostly a
very cooperative community for the previous 18 years that I have been
working with and using Free Software.  Unfortunately, this attitude and
its product have become a large enough presence that they're no longer
just a routing problem.

What I will be looking for are ways to maintain a mostly POSIX compliant
system that is based on the Linux kernel and still has a good desktop
experience. I hope that I will be able to do that with Debian as I've
been using Debian for right at 15 years and am most familiar and
comfortable with it.  I wade through these threads looking for those
tidbits of information that are helpful to that end.  I am also a
maintainer/developer of two small upstream projects that are in Debian
and I value quite highly the quality and stability offered by the Debian
Project.

- Nate