Re: git: how to figure out with a script what the last commit on remote repo is without fetching it

2014/09/14 6:55 "lee" <lee@yun.yagibdah.de>:

> Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > 2014/09/12 3:35 "lee" <lee@yun.yagibdah.de>:
> >>
> >> [...]
> >> Well, I don't want to program some sort of meta-git ...  I merely want a
> >> simple way to be informed about new commits.
> >
> > I'm still wondering whether a cron job that does a status request on the
> > head in question wouldn't be good enough.
>
> Like Jonathan suggested?  That would probably work fine for what I'm
> doing with the repos reachable via https.

I can't think of any reason it would be dependent on https connectivity. Any way you can reach the repository should allow scripted query, thus checking by a cron job.

> > I don't recall svn or cvs doing this without using a hook, either, even
> > though a commit does mean something else there.
>
> I suspect that the makers of these systems might not want users to pull
> the information and thus decided not to implement a feature that allows
> to get it in some easy way ...

I know svn has such hooks. I have a project (kind of silly little Forth interpreter) that I needed to mirror (for reasons that may not have been so important after all), and it had started as an svn repository, so I dug around the subversion docs and found the hooks and asked the admins at sourceforge.jp to set the hooks for me. The hooks that needed to be set at sourceforge.net, IIRC, I was able to set myself.

(The hooks on sourceforge.net were the commit hooks, as I recall, and the hooks on sourceforge.jp were write hooks, where I basically used the write hooks to prevent myself from writing to the mirror any way but via commits from the -- hooks in -- the source.)

git would have been much easier, of course, but I was only familiar with cvs when I started bif-c.sf.net and wanted to practice svn. Then, it seemed to make sense to avoid confusing myself when I set up the mirror, so the mirror stayed with svn, too.

Joel Rees

Computer memory is just fancy paper,
CPUs just fancy pens.
All is a stream of text