Re: git: how to figure out with a script what the last commit on remote repo is without fetching it

2014/09/12 3:35 "lee" <lee@yun.yagibdah.de>:

> [...]
> Well, I don't want to program some sort of meta-git ...  I merely want a
> simple way to be informed about new commits.

I'm still wondering whether a cron job that does a status request on the head in question wouldn't be good enough.

Otherwise, you're asking the repository to publish the updates,
* which is pushing data,
* and when you push, there has to be some place to push it to,
* and setting it up wrong would open up security holes,
* and most default setups would be wrong in any particular case.

I don't recall svn or cvs doing this without using a hook, either, even though a commit does mean something else there.

Joel Rees

Computer memory is just fancy paper,
CPUs just fancy pens.
All is a stream of text