Re: git: how to figure out with a script what the last commit on remote repo is without fetching it

Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> writes:

> 2014/09/12 3:35 "lee" <lee@yun.yagibdah.de>:
>>
>> [...]
>> Well, I don't want to program some sort of meta-git ...  I merely want a
>> simple way to be informed about new commits.
>
> I'm still wondering whether a cron job that does a status request on the
> head in question wouldn't be good enough.

Like Jonathan suggested?  That would probably work fine for what I'm
doing with the repos reachable via https.

> I don't recall svn or cvs doing this without using a hook, either, even
> though a commit does mean something else there.

I suspect that the makers of these systems might not want users to pull
the information and thus decided not to implement a feature that allows
to get it in some easy way ...

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.