Re: preseeding: disable systemd

> On 09/14/2014 02:22 AM, Joel Rees wrote:
> 2014/09/13 22:06 "Brian" <ad44@cityscape.co.uk
> <mailto:ad44@cityscape.co.uk>>:

>> > Again, I think this is another example of people disagreeing about what
>> > it means to - as it was expressed in this case - "get systemd".
>>
>> Everyone in this thread, bar one, has a good understanding that the OP
>> was clearly asking about an init system for PID 1.
>>
>> > I raised this point in an earlier thread, here:
>> >
>> >https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2014/08/msg01591.html
>> >
>> > I think clarifying what people mean by this, rather than merely
>> > contradicting one another back and forth, could be more constructive.
>>
>> Nothing needs to clarified. The only contradictory post is based on not
>> grasping what the OP asked.
>
> Is your name Martin?
>
> Should we ask Martin whether he would be satisfied if
>
> (1) systemd runs at some pid higher than 1?
>
> (2) systemd is loaded, but doesn't actually run at all?
>
> (3) systemd libraries are loaded, but systemd itself is not?
>
> (4) Some emulation layer provides the functionality and no code from the
> systemd project gets to touch his disks?
>
> or
>
> (5) None of the apps he needs ask the OS to do any of the sort of things
> that systemd uniquely does?
>
> I personally am not going to be satisfied unless #5 is met. That's how
> deep I perceive the design bugs in systemd to extend.
>
> The marginal real functionality of systemd can and should be done
> another way, to avoid opening huge security holes in the OS.
>
> That few people seem to understand those holes is well apparent to me,
> but that doesn't mean I should pretend they don't exist.
>
> But, of course, I am not the OP, and I don't like systemd, so I don't count.
>
> What does Martin have to say?

In my original question, I asked whether it is possible to use
preseeding to override default init choice, so that systemd will not be
installed.

Installing systemd and having it run with pid other than 1 is not what I
want. It is not the pid 1 that bothers me, it is systemd itself. I want
to avoid systemd entirely

thanks,
Martin