git: how to figure out with a script what the last commit on remote repo is without fetching it

Hi,

how would I figure out what the last commit to a remote repo was without
first fetching or pulling the remote repo?

Assume that I have a local copy, say cloned yesterday.  Today I would
like to be informed automatically of new commits without fetching or
pulling from the remote repo.  It would suffice to know whether there
have been new commits or not.

'git log -1 --date=relative --format=%at' gives me a very useful output
for my local instance of the repo, but there doesn't seem to be any way
to get this kind of output for the remote repo.  Or is there?

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.