Re: Query about existence of way to free up unnecessary RAM usage

On 09/10/2014 03:34 AM, Bret Busby wrote:
On 10/09/2014, Bzzzz <lazyvirus@gmx.com> wrote:
On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 03:30:40 +0800
Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:

Alright, then; it is doing token swapping - with 99% of 16GB memory
usage, and, swapping only 4% of (about) 40GB swap capacity, you can't
seriously tell me that the swapping is working as it should be.

Anyway, a swap of 40GB is too much for a RAM of 16GB (should be
around 16-20GB), unless you perform operations that generates
a lot of intermediary results).

As I already said, 95% of JS scripts are written with feet;
and it is not unusual to find either infinite loops or
anything from the whole panel of programming malpractices
into them…

What is this command returning? sysctl -a|grep swap

"
:~# sysctl -a|grep swap
vm.swappiness = 90
error: "Invalid argument" reading key "fs.binfmt_misc.register"
error: permission denied on key 'net.ipv4.route.flush'
error: permission denied on key 'net.ipv6.route.flush'

Previously I had upgraded from Wheezy to Jessie, It worked fine for awhile until I messed with tmpfs. Then things like audio and video were stuttering. Some programs were running with higher than normal cpu usage. I backed up, and re-installed from DVD clean. No more problems. Ric

Linux user# 44256