Gesendet: Freitag, 05. September 2014 um 08:57 Uhr
Von: Hans <hans.ullrich@loop.de>
An: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Betreff: Re: Aw: Re: GUI fails after upgrade from wheezy to jessie
Am Freitag, 5. September 2014, 10:15:36 schrieb Hans Heider:
> Hi Hans,
>
> thank you for sharing your ideas.
>
> I used apt-get dist-upgrade for my upgrade from wheezy to jessie. Kernel
> command line in grub does not have any "vga=" options.
> I removed "gdm3" and "x11-session" from /etc/init.rd/ but somehow Xorg still
> got started. Cannot image how/why?

Hmm, that should not be. Check, if there is any other loginmanager active in
init.d. Search at kdm, gdm and lightdm. Just remove all of them. Maybe you
might want to deinstall all of them. I suggest, to purge them, too. (either
aptitude purge packagename or apt-get --purge packagename)

Apropos purging: the comman aptitude purge ~c purges all configurations of all
deinstalled packages and libs. So these do not interfere.

Can you see the output, when you do "startx" as root from the prompt? There
should appear some messages.

> Regarding the first problem:
> - As lxde was already installed, I additionally installed xfce. However,
> this did not change the situation at all. - Afterwards, I installed kdm as
> a replacement for gdm3 (not uninstalled) -> problem partly solved!

Yes, kdm is working also fine. But for testing purposes move it away from
/etc/init.d/, just like gdm.
> No more
> kernel faults and window manager now shows up soon after X is started.

> However, two less critical problems persist: * screen resolution is strange
> (not using whole screen) and I cannot select usage of different monitors
> via EeePC "FN + XX" keys any more.

Hmm, this should work. Did you install the package eeepc-acpi-scripts? If yes,
look at the configuration of it. Note: FN + Space, FN + F6 do not work after
reboot. They are working again, when you did a dpkg-reconfigure eeepc-acpi-
scripts - until next reboot. I sent a bugreport, but still no one cared.
> All this worked fine in wheezy. *
> nm-applet does not work properly, message like "Policy Kit authorization
> failed: challenge needed for org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.Device.Control"
> are diplayed. I will try to use information from
Network-manager is not woorking very well on an EEEPC. I suggest to change to
wicd. If you want to use a GSM-card, try "umtsmon". It is an old qt4-package,
but working very very well. I am no coder, but I tried to change it to use
qt5, but still got no success. For this I am not experienced enough.

> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/display_manager and
> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=180025 to fix it as soon as I
> have time for it. To help others with similar problem I will report the
> result.
> Does the "FN + XX"-key combination work for you?
>
> Regarding second problem:
> - still exists, could not find a workaround
>
> Regarding third problem:
> - after running apt-get remove lilypond lilypond-doc lilypond-doc-html ->
> problem solved!
> Yours,

Try also apt-get autoremove, and if you know, what you are doing, you can also
try orphaner. This will remove a lot of crap from your system. If after that
something is missing, just reinstall it.

> Hans

Good luck!

Hans