Re: Aw: Re: Re: GUI fails after upgrade from wheezy to jessie

Am Samstag, 6. September 2014, 17:18:11 schrieb Hans Heider:
> Hi Hans,
Hi Hans

> I purged whole X, kdm, gdm3, xfdestop4, lxde and finally also twm. After
> reinstalling lxde GUI login now works. However, auto-adjusting the
> resoltion with an external monitor does not work. Using lxrandr helps,
> therefore I consider this problem as fixed.

That sounds good.

> The only three FN+ XX keys working are the ones to decrease / increase
> screen brightness and to put the pc into sleep mode. By using 'xev' I
> noticed that the other keys do not generate any event. The scripts which
> this keys should execute are in /usr/share/acpi-support/eeepc-acpi-scripts
> and at least vga-toogle.sh and volume.sh work perfectly fine when executed
> manually. Therefore, I assume that they are not executed when the keys are
> pressed. Additionally, I found out that the eeepc-laptop kernel module
> (referenced here

Yes, same here. Not all FN+* keys are working any more. I already sent a bug
report, but as there are only very few people with this hardware, still no one
cared about. And I am no coder, so I cannot fix it myself.

I hope, some day it will be fixed.

> https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/HowTo/Configure#Power_management_.26_ho
> tkeys) is not loaded and I cannot load it manually. # modprobe
> eeepc-laptop           gives: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert
> 'eeepc_laptop': No such device # uname -a
> gives: Linux eeepc 3.14-2-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.14.15-2 (2014-08-09) i686
> GNU/Linux
> I checked that the module exists.
>
> Is the module loaded on your system?

Yes, they are loaded here. Please pay attention, that the module acpi-wmi is
not loaded. It depends on your hardare! Newer hardware uses acpi-wmi, the
older ones use eeepc-laptop.

To inhibit acpi-wmi to be loaded, add the command "acpi_osi=Linux" to your
grub commandline. (I am using grub-legacy, which is mor easy to configure than
grub2. I am using debian now for many years and so I am still at grub-legacy.
Sorry for that.)

Then, after boot, check if the module is loaded with

lsmod | grep eeepc

You can also check, which modules are loaded by lsmod | grep acpi

> Yours,
>
> Hans

Have a nice weekend.

Best