Re: 2 GDM3 questions

Rob Owens wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Rob Owens wrote:

GDM3 makes me think that Paul is running GNOME.

> > > I *think* this might be set by running update-alternatives --config
> > > x-window-manager
> >
> > I think x-session-manager instead. :-)
>
> My Jessie system doesn't have /etc/alternatives/x-session-manager,
> just x-window-manager.  Maybe it's because I don't have a desktop
> environment installed?  I just have fluxbox, and
> /etc/alternatives/x-session-manager points to /usr/bin/startfluxbox.

As another minimalist you are my new BFF!  :-) But yes that is why you
don't have it.  Fluxbox is a window manager and AFAIK installs an
x-window-manager alternative.  Same thing for most "window managers".
But heavy desktop session managers such as LXDE (light weight is
relative here), XFCE, GNOME, KDE install an alternative for
x-session-manager.  Openbox also installs itself as an
x-session-manager too even though I would classify it as a window
manager.  (shrug)

The system default Xsession will try ~/.xsession followed by
x-session-manager followed by x-window-manager followed by
x-terminal-emulator and I probably missed something along the way.
Details are embedded in the code of the /etc/X11/Xsession* scripts.

Bob