Aw: Re: GUI fails after upgrade from wheezy to jessie

Hi Hans,

thank you for sharing your ideas.

I used apt-get dist-upgrade for my upgrade from wheezy to jessie. Kernel command line in grub does not have any "vga=" options.

I removed "gdm3" and "x11-session" from /etc/init.rd/ but somehow Xorg still got started. Cannot image how/why?

Regarding the first problem:
- As lxde was already installed, I additionally installed xfce. However, this did not change the situation at all.
- Afterwards, I installed kdm as a replacement for gdm3 (not uninstalled) -> problem partly solved! No more kernel faults and window manager now shows up soon after X is started. However, two less critical problems persist:
 * screen resolution is strange (not using whole screen) and I cannot select usage of different monitors via EeePC "FN + XX" keys any more. All this worked fine in wheezy.
 * nm-applet does not work properly, message like "Policy Kit authorization failed: challenge needed for org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.Device.Control" are diplayed. I will try to use information from https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/display_manager and https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=180025 to fix it as soon as I have time for it. To help others with similar problem I will report the result.

Does the "FN + XX"-key combination work for you?

Regarding second problem:
- still exists, could not find a workaround

Regarding third problem:
- after running apt-get remove lilypond lilypond-doc lilypond-doc-html -> problem solved!

Yours,

Hans