Re: enabling remote X Window sessions

SAS as in http://www.sas.com - confusing.

When I do a nmap scan of port 6000 on my machine from the remote one it reports the Host is up, so I don't think it is blocked. I've used host name and IP address to the same effect when trying to run the X clients on the remote host.

I might be able to use some other authentication mechanism, like magic cookie, but I would prefer to use the traditional X network connection. See, I'm a sysadmin working on developing the code for other users to do the same thing, though they may not be using Debian, but more likely using X-Win32 from Microsoft Windows. It has to just work for them, so I would like to develop/test the same configuration on my desktop. There are other times where I need to do similar display of remote X clients for other purposes. All I want back is my old insecure way of doing things, when I knowingly authorize it, like I had under CentOS. But, I'm not going back to CentOS.

I did find several of the executables in /usr/lib/gdm3/ have strings of "-nolisten" and "tcp" as well as other tell-tale evidence that suggest the parameter may be hard-coded. I might have to dig into the source next.

Kevin Buchs   Research Computer Services   Phone: 507-538-5459
Mayo Clinic   200 1st. St SW   Rochester, MN 55905
http://mayoclinic.org  http://facebook.com/MayoClinic  http://youtube.com/MayoClinic  http://twitter.com/MayoClinic

On 08/22/2014 10:09 AM, Gian Uberto Lauri wrote:
Buchs, Kevin J. writes:

  > Marc (and Gian hinted at) mentioned that /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc has
  > the "-nolisten tcp" in it. This was as he said. However, editing the
  > file did not stop Xorg from getting started with the very same
  > parameter. It must be buried in another place, I fear, hardcoded into gdm3.

And like a zombie emerges from its grave to haunt the poor user :)

  > myhost:0.0, where "myhost" is my local host name. However, from a remote
  > server, I could not get it to work. Yes, I know about xhost and had used
that appropriately.
SAS = Software As a Service (aka SaaS)?

Is there something  that blocks port 6000 in the  path from the remote
VM  and you?

Could you pass to the remote VM the mit magic cookie to the environment hosting

Did you told the remote programs to use your machine name or your IP?