Re: enabling remote X Window sessions

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Though ssh, vnc, remote XDMCP, Xephr are all fine for running X clients when there is interactive execution of the client by the user, it does not work in my case where there is Open Grid Scheduler batch execution. In my case, the X client of interest is SAS, but it could be as simple as running xclock. SAS needs to run on a remote server, but display locally. I can't start it interactively. I'm sorry that many of you don't like the constraints and risks under which I need to work, but that doesn't remove those constraints.

Previously, I identified the gdm3 configuration file that one can change to (supposedly) tell gdm not to run XOrg with -nolisten tcp, though the behavior didn't change after I edited the file.

Marc (and Gian hinted at) mentioned that /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc has the "-nolisten tcp" in it. This was as he said. However, editing the file did not stop Xorg from getting started with the very same parameter. It must be buried in another place, I fear, hardcoded into gdm3.

Brian suggested stopping gdm3 and starting X manually just to see if that worked. I did this experiment, logging in from a console (C-A-F1) and killing the gdm process. I did this and X was started without the -nolisten tcp. It was a partial success. I could run xclock -display myhost:0.0, where "myhost" is my local host name. However, from a remote server, I could not get it to work. Yes, I know about xhost and had used that appropriately.

Kevin Buchs   Research Computer Services   Phone: 507-538-5459
Mayo Clinic   200 1st. St SW   Rochester, MN 55905
http://mayoclinic.org  http://facebook.com/MayoClinic  http://youtube.com/MayoClinic  http://twitter.com/MayoClinic