Re: Gnome for jessie

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014 11:00:10 -0400 (EDT)
Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 22:56:53 -0400 (EDT), Stephen L. Novak wrote:
> >
> > I'm only submitting that I would vote to see gnome as the default
> > interface for jessie too.  Also, I would vote change the default
> > highlighter for some of the default menus in the new Xfce to a
> > brighter color.  Thanks for all the work on Wheezy.
>
> My main objection to GNOME as the default desktop environment is
> that it *requires* 3D graphics acceleration from the X driver,
> something which is not available from all drivers.  (For example,
> the mach64 driver which I am using right now as I compose this e-mail
> does not have 3D graphics acceleration.)

Eeeeuuuuu, get it offa me!

I thought the purpose of a wm/de was to let the user run, arrange, view
and interact with his programs. Why someone would require the
complexity of 3d graphics to accomplish this is beyond me.

> XFCE does not have this requirement.

Neither, I hope, do the rest of them.

I regularly use Xfce, LXDE, Openbox, and even dwm, and sure hope none
of them are doing 3d stuff I have no use for.

I'd want 3d if I were operating a sculpting program or a 3d printer.
Operating a desktop environment, not so much.

SteveT