Re: Gnome for jessie

On 16/08/14 11:00 AM, Stephen Powell wrote:
On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 22:56:53 -0400 (EDT), Stephen L. Novak wrote:
I'm only submitting that I would vote to see gnome as the default
interface for jessie too.  Also, I would vote change the default
highlighter for some of the default menus in the new Xfce to a brighter
color.  Thanks for all the work on Wheezy.
My main objection to GNOME as the default desktop environment is
that it *requires* 3D graphics acceleration from the X driver,
something which is not available from all drivers.  (For example,
the mach64 driver which I am using right now as I compose this e-mail
does not have 3D graphics acceleration.)

XFCE does not have this requirement.

I've never been a fan of Gnome although this stems mainly from my preference for Konqueror and Dolphin as file managers. They both have options that I find very helpful, like actually listing the files you are about to delete instead of just telling you how many have been selected.

It's a toss up as to which very useful programs integrate better with what desktop.

Most modern hardware can run either Gnome or KDE while older hardware needs a lighter-weight alternative. I still have hardware like that and have to use it regularly.

The installer, to my way of thinking, should either go with the most popular choice or give you the choice of desktop environments as part of the install process.