make "apt-get install $PKG" work like gentoo?

I've never used gentoo sorry.

I'm wondering if "apt-get install" could be set up to compile from
source and install that (sort of automatically), rather than install
the binary?

Due to admining a number of machines for a small non profit human
rights association (and a few personal boxen for myself and others),
and problems sometimes with internet connectivity, I use debmirror to
maintain a local debian package mirror, and I add in "source" packages
too.

There are the buildd, and perhaps more apropos debomatic, and I'm
wondering if anyone has used these to do something like gentoo for
their debian install, or if that's a bit beyond reasonable?

Where (as in my case) there are at least three different machine
types, if I wanted to minimize build times, I would need to create
"locally compiled" package pools for each machine type.

In which case why not use the binary packages? Well, why use gentoo?
I'm guessing optimizing package builds for your specific machine
type(s).

And something that seems even more appealing to me is an apt-get
source resulting in a git repo, and then "upgrade" for that package
becomes just "git pull; recompile, rebuild debian package; install" -
the git pull for a Linux kernel upgrade for example, is much smaller
than downloading source and binary packages, and provides a full
source archive - having been a programmer, this seems quite appealing.

"Why not use gentoo?" Well, I like debian. In fact, I have used Debian
for so many years, the particular configurations and directory etc
choices are well ingrained for me.

I just want more.

I'm imagining the debian developers feeding their debianizations to
their packages, to us users, via git (or their vcs of choice say hg or
whatever), rather than via the package distribution system per se,
even if local installations go through a locally built binary package.

TIA
Zenaan