Re: systemd fails to poweroff - "A stop job is running for Session 2 of user $USER"

On 08/14/2014 10:35 AM, Tom H wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 1:04 AM, Paul E Condon
> <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:
>
>> In English, both 'stop job' and 'stopped job' are an adjective
>> modifying a noun. The noun in both cases is 'job'. 'stop job' is a
>> noun phrase expressing a type of job, and must be some kind of
>> geeky usage. OTOH, the noun phrase 'stopped job' is a job that is
>> not progressing, or not running. But in this context, 'job' must
>> itself have a geeky, technical jargon meaning.
>
> I don't understand why you've got a bee under your bonnet because of
> the "stop job" phrase!
>
> "Stop" in "stop job" isn't an adjective, it's a noun (or an
> attributive noun) just like "office" in "office chair."

Technically speaking, in "office chair", the word "office" is an adjective.

Most words in English can serve as multiple different parts of speech,
depending on context. Nouns can be verbed, verbs can be nouned, and - as
we see here - nouns can be adjectivized, trivially.

That said, yes, a "stop job" is a job intended to stop something. (Think
of the phrase "a stop-job order", that is, an order to stop a job that
otherwise would go forward.)

The phrase is still non-obvious at a glance to the uninitiated - I had
trouble figuring out that it wasn't a transcription error for "stopped
job", and then figuring out what it did mean, myself - but it is a
reasonable one to choose from the perspective of someone who does know
what's being talked about.

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.