Re: systemd fails to poweroff - "A stop job is running for Session 2 of user $USER"

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 5:16 PM, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
> Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>>
>> Debian sid
>>
>> systemd currently fails to poweroff for me
>>
>> XFCE (appears to) exit, the mouse point shows
>> for a while, then the kernel/ shutdown log appears.
>>
>> The last message is:
>> "A stop job is running for Session 2 of user me"
>>
>> Red asterisks (up to 3) appear to oscillate at left
>> edge in an ascii "wait for me" animation.
>>
>> Requires hard powercycle to poweroff.
>>
>> How might I debug this?
>>

> Right.  Debian Sid. 'halt' does not poweroff with systemd.
I think this behaviour has changed from pre-systemd era.

At halt/poweroff/reboot manpage :
DESCRIPTION
       halt, poweroff, reboot may be used to halt, power-off or reboot the
       machine.

I think it should be better explain what is exactly halt and which is
the difference with poweroff

As I understand, power off is like you press the power button some seconds.
Halt (as current behaviour) is stop all process but pid 1

There is the "-p" switch to halt, or the "--halt" switch to poweroff,
so halt can power off the machine or power off can stop all process in
an ordered way

Regards,