Re: systemd fails to poweroff - "A stop job is running for Session 2 of user $USER"

I interpret the quoted string in the Subject: header as being flawed
use of English language. 'stop' should be 'stopped'. And, there is a
bug in the script that fails to evaluate the variable USER and
therefore fails to print the name of the user (aka. owner) of the
stopped job in Session 2.

Did OP attempted to connect to Session 2 and terminate the job there?

Does the message really keep the system from executing poweroff? Or,
does it just introduce a delay long enough for the user who is
requesting the poweroff to reconsider and abort his request?

What did the OP actually do that he hoped would cause a poweroff?
i.e. what did he type? or button did he click?

In a better formulated message, there should be a comma ',' between
'user' and '$USER'. Thus if the USER of Session 2 is Joe, the message
should read (adding a full stop at the end):

"A stopped job is running for Session 2 of user, Joe."

But even this is poorly worded. A job that is both running, and
stopped is a goofy idea, as well as somewhat verbose. Maybe it should
be:

"A stopped job exists for Session 2 of user, Joe."

I'm assuming that it is OK to assume that the user who did whatever made
his computer spit out this message understands what a stopped job is, but
I'm unaware of any Debian manual of style for error messages as newspapers
have manuals of style for news item they print. Is there one? If so, it
should give advice on the use of 'for' and 'of' in this context.

OTOH, maybe I misunderstand the situation.

HTH