Re: Irony

On Sat, 9 Aug 2014 16:26:40 -0400
Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:

 > Hi all,
 >
 > Some of the reasons I switched my desktop from Ubuntu to Debian were:
 >
 > 1) To do more config by editor and less by magical binary program.
 >
 > 2) To get rid of gratuitous boot gunge (in this case Plymouth)
 >
 > 3) To get closer to the Unix Philosophy
 >
 > Within months of my switch, oops, here comes systemd.
 >
 > Sometimes, you just have to laugh.
 >
 > SteveT

A new thread... I chase this one, knowing full well that convincing anyone of
anything is nearly impossible.

There remains only a few holdouts from the "major" distributions: Gentoo and
Slackware. So, give 'em a go...

However, I've spent a significant time over the last few days relearning much
of what I thought I knew about rsyslog, what I knew I didn't know about
systemd, and musing about what the future may hold... And I gotta say, I might
have agreed with you several months ago -- but I no longer do...

Systemd is going to take over, because it's - well - better than what existed
in the past.  And that's also what open source is about -- a meritocracy.

I also learned that rsyslog, syslog-ng and company have had sql logging
capability all along... silly me! I should just learn to look more thoroughly
at what I have in front of me... and, I'm sure, if you take a good honest look
at the whole of systemd and what the team is attempting, you'll come over to
the dark-side as well... BTW, we have cookies.

--Andrew