Re: System broken after full-upgrade: please help!

On 08/08/2014 03:51 AM, Bonno Bloksma wrote:

> Hi Rodolfo,
>
>> Two days ago, after full-upgrade, as explained, it was impossible
>> to boot neither to reboot and I had to unplug the machine.  Thanks
>> to lister's help, the above commands through debian-installer in
>> rescue mode managed to repair the system.  But now two problems
>> still remain:
>
> I can help you with 1 I think
>
>> 1) I can't halt the system.  After the `halt' command, the system stops saying
>>    [.    47.148880] reboot: System halted
>>     Then nothing happens and I have to unplug the machine;
>
> [..]
>
> It was explained a while ago here that a shutdown after halt was
> actually a bug. Halt should just halt the system.
> ----<quote>-----
> Don't shutdown with the halt(8) command, it is not supposed to power
> off the machine, and the systemd maintainers consider it a bug[1]
> that the sysvinit implementation does it anyway. Use the poweroff
> command instead.
>
> 1. https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=746650
> ----</quote>-----

I agree that it's good to have separate commands for these two
behaviors, and I agree that it's intuitive from a linguistic perspective
for the command meaning "don't actually power all the way off" to be
'halt'.

However, I strongly disagree with changing the long-established
semantics of the 'halt' command. Whether or not it *should* mean "power
off", that is what it *has* meant, and people now expect it to mean
that; changing that, especially without a long (probably years-long!)
deprecation period and a well-publicized flag day, is IMO a very bad
idea. For it to be done in that way by systemd is simply going to
reinforce the perception of the systemd project and developers as
high-handed and authoritarian.

Providing a config file setting which lets you make 'halt' actually
power off the system (probably overrideable with a command-line option),
and having 'halt' print a "Warning, powering off using 'halt' is
deprecated, please use 'poweroff' instead" type of message when invoked
with that setting, would be a better way to go. Leaving it in that state
for two or three years, then removing the setting, would be the right
way to transition to the apparently "non-buggy" state. (Though just
leaving the option indefinitely for people who want that behavior would
IMO be even better.)

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.