Re: End of hypocrisy ? (Alt. title: Learning to cope with systemd)

On Tue 05 Aug 2014 at 14:40:01 -0400, John wrote:

[Some snipping]

> But I've also been trying to learn to cope with our future via
> init=/bin/systemd.

Irrespective of what future direction you take this open-minded attitude
is commendable.

> 2. I _think_ systemd broke my ability to print, or even to ping
> localhost. Three days of thrashing around with cups, hplip, including
> several reinstalls of both, and resetting locales went by, and then I
> noticed /etc/cups/cupsd-systemd-listen.conf.  I _guess_ it was
> installed behind my back without any warning. Two more days of
> thrashing around and the printer works again. But I made so many
> changes that I am not at all sure which of them finally fixed the
> problem.  Again, details available on request.

It is impossible on Debian for a file to be installed behind one's back.
Of course, if you not look at what a package contains, README.Debian, a
changelog, NEWS.Debian etc then it may look like that.

I would say it is extremely unlikely that cupsd-systemd-listen.conf
broke your cups. But it is in the past, so we can leave it at that.

> 3. Learning to use journalctl and systemctl takes time.  Since systemd
> gives pretty good error messages, life got much easier I got to read
> them, by amending /etc/inittab by adding --noclear thus:
> 1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty --noclear 38400 tty1

/etc/inittab is not a file systemd looks at. You may want to read the
thread which contains this post:

   [🔎] 87bns2roy6.fsf@turtle.gmx.de">https://lists.debian.org/[🔎] 87bns2roy6.fsf@turtle.gmx.de

> I have no doubt I have much more to learn. Maybe some of you do too?
> I look forward to your help.

I'll join you in learning.