Re: End of hypocrisy ?

On 5/08/2014 5:44 AM, Erwan David wrote:
> Le 04/08/2014 21:34, Tom H a écrit :
>> Going back to "fix sysinit instead" (which is what I was replying to),
>> did anyone add cgroup support to sysvinit so someone could tell
>> Lennart "f-u, sysvinit can kill double-forked children"?
>>

> For me that should be the responsibility of the service itself.Not of
> the init system.

I absolutely agree, shutting down any process need not involve other
processes -- if I want to shutdown dovecot and restart it for whatever
reason, I don't want it bringing down exim4.

>> Suppose that you have a 16-node cluster, some patches were applied to
>> the systems overnight, a mistake was made, and you have to correct
>> this mistake on all of the systems during trading hours. Once you get
>> all the OKs that are needed for this kind of emergency change, the
>> head of the trading desk that uses that cluster calls you and says
>> "I'm going to be on the line for as long as you're working on our
>> system." So you fix one node, reboot it, make sure that it's back in
>> the cluster and doing its job, and fix another, etc. You can be sure
>> that everyone's happier that the systems boot quickly and that the
>> cluster was running with 15 rather than 16 nodes for as few minutes as
>> possible (because you can be sure that the fact that this cluster
>> wasn't running at full capacity for X minutes will come up in
>> managerial meetings, both in IT ones and in IT-Business ones).

The argument here is likely that the upgrade should have been tested on
a test cluster FIRST and perhaps extensively -- if you have that many
servers in play, you should have a development, test and production
environment to work with and very stringent change control methods in place.

>> I don't care what's bringing up a system,
>> sysvinit/systemd/smf/launchd, the faster the better.
>
> What takes most time when booting a server is what the server does
> before booting the OS (before grub in case of linux). Optimising what
> comes after is non-sense.

Again, I completely agree.  Many servers can take an extraordinary
amount of time before it gets to grub -- from grub onwards it isn't a
big deal.

> Note that with systemd more upgrades will necessitate a reboot, since
> systemd does many things...

Yes.

Cheers
A.