Re: Skype access cancelled for Debian versions before 7

On 03/08/2014, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/08/2014, Andrew McGlashan <andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au>
> wrote:

<snip>

>> In terms of hardware, I don't want any fingerprint readers, nor do I
>> want any other unwanted spying /tools/ to be available to the spooks.
>> Anything with Intel inside is also suspect for similar reasons to the
>> issues with Microsoft / Google / Apple being based in the US.  The
>> mobile I want today is the OnePlus One ... Chinese made, can we trust
>> them?  It's a very, very sorry state of affairs when you realize that
>> you cannot trust any company to keep you safe and with privacy; with
>> limited or no trust in hardware, ditto for software.
>>
>> As an Australian, in Australia (all my life), I am supposed to be /free/
>> from NSA spying, but that doesn't rule out our own security agencies.
>> Nor does it help if I wish to use Tor and/or other encrypting / privacy
>> related technology.
>>

> Remember, apart from Fraser using the CIA to oust Whitlam, we have
> http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-14/dsd-asked-nsa-for-help-in-spying-on-australian/5453480
>
> "
> GLENN GREENWALD: Nobody disputes that there is some legitimate state
> surveillance, including surveilling people where there's evidence to
> believe that they're engaged in violence or terrorism or other forms
> of threatening behaviour. I've been writing about this issue for many
> years and I've never once encountered somebody who believes there
> should be no state surveillance.
>
> The problem is, and if you look at the letter, which we publish in
> relevant parts, they're not asking for very specific individuals to be
> surveilled; they're asking for a wide surveillance net to be cast over
> the Australian communications system.
>
> And so, the problem with it is that, historically, whenever you allow
> government officials to engage in mass surveillance, which is what
> these systems are, the abuse is virtually inevitable. I think it would
> be a much different story if the letter were saying, 'Here are 35
> people we're concerned about and we'd like you to help us watch them.'
> But that's now what the letter was; it was asking for, more or less,
> indiscriminate surveillance on Australians generally.
> "

The immediate next part of that interview;

"
MARK COLVIN: So, what do you think is the single most important thing
that Edward Snowden has revealed?

GLENN GREENWALD: I think, you know, I'm asked that question fairly
often and I could name some really significant, specific stories, but
ultimately what I really believe is the most enduring and
consequential revelation is that the goal of the NSA and its four
English-speaking surveillance partners, which includes Australia, the
UK and New Zealand and Canada, is captured by this phrase that appears
over and over in the documents which is, 'collect it all'.

They are not trying simply to collect the communication of terror
suspects or people who are viewed as radical extremists; they
literally want to store and gather and, when they want, monitor and
analyse all forms of human communication that take place
electronically between all human beings on the planet.
"

--
Bret Busby
Armadale