Re: Skype access cancelled for Debian versions before 7

On 03/08/2014, Andrew McGlashan <andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:
> On 3/08/2014 4:39 AM, Brian wrote:
>> On Sun 03 Aug 2014 at 01:29:57 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>> There is no substitute for Skype (either the software or the service)
>> whether it be open or closed source,
>
> What about Google Hangouts?  That might be a reasonable substitute....

Google? That is even more sinister than the NSA, isn't it? The NSA
doesn't drive around suburbia, filming everyone in their yards.

> I haven't used Skype for a number of years, I was against the way it
> worked .... super nodes, anyone?  Since M$ took ownership, well, that
> just made it a more bad idea.
>

> There must be an alternative to Skype.
>
> http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fed-up-with-skype-here-are-6-of-the-best-free-alternatives/

And, how many opf those, work with Debian Linux 6? And, how many (if
any) that work with Debian Linux 6, interface successfully with other
operating systems, such as MS Windows?

With, as an example, Ekiga, on the Ekiga list, a response was
something like"if you want a working version, you need to be running,
for Debian, Debian <testing or unstable, when Devbian 6 was Debian
stable> - no working version would be released for Debian 6".

With the Skype 2.2 (beta), running on Debian 6, I was able to connect
successfully, and, successfully make videocalls, with people running
Linux, and, with people running MS Windows.

It worked, so Microsoft broke it.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale