Re: Skype access cancelled for Debian versions before 7

On 3/08/2014 9:21 AM, Joel Rees wrote:
>> On 03/08/2014, Andrew McGlashan <andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:
>>> What about Google Hangouts?  That might be a reasonable substitute....
>>>
>> Google? That is even more sinister than the NSA, isn't it? The NSA
>> doesn't drive around suburbia, filming everyone in their yards.
>
> Google has too much money and is out of control.
>
> The NSA has too much money and is out of our control.
>
> There is a difference. Sometimes only minor, but mostly not so minor.

Sure, there are lots of trust problems.

Microsoft and Google are great big US companies ... that's a problem
just to start with; the US Government or any of their agents can easily
destroy all your privacy any time they like.  Apple is somewhat better,
but still a US company, subject to the same problems (they also have a
huge Apple tax for consideration too ... larger than most other taxes,
even the M$ taxes that are paid for licensed software).

If you have a smart phone, chances are it is Android (Google owned IP
and control) or iOS (Apple owned IP and control).  Even if you have a
Linux based phone (other than Android), then you still have the issues
of components above the OS to consider.  Sure you could use Cyanogen
Mod, but that is still based on Android ... just less Google.

Further on trust, given what we know now about BadUSB and all the stuff
in the NSA /store/ ... you can't even trust any hardware!

In terms of hardware, I don't want any fingerprint readers, nor do I
want any other unwanted spying /tools/ to be available to the spooks.
Anything with Intel inside is also suspect for similar reasons to the
issues with Microsoft / Google / Apple being based in the US.  The
mobile I want today is the OnePlus One ... Chinese made, can we trust
them?  It's a very, very sorry state of affairs when you realize that
you cannot trust any company to keep you safe and with privacy; with
limited or no trust in hardware, ditto for software.

As an Australian, in Australia (all my life), I am supposed to be /free/
from NSA spying, but that doesn't rule out our own security agencies.
Nor does it help if I wish to use Tor and/or other encrypting / privacy
related technology.

The biggest impediment to doing video calls is the bandwidth or lack
thereof worldwide ... in AU we have a stick government that got voted in
thanks to the media doing a real hatchet job on the previous government.
 No government is perfect, but at least our former government was
working towards giving us fibre to the premise, not that it would have
solved all bandwidth issues, it would have helped greatly; the current
government wants to give us fraudband for not much less in real cost to
build and far greater cost to operate -- it's a political mess and we
all [or least a great majority] suffer the consequences.

I'll still stay clear of Skype, I don't need it.  I don't use Google
Hangouts, but one day I might; the latter would definitely be my choice
of the two.  We need a Google Hangouts version from Duck Duck Go or
similar.  In the past I've tried Ekiga, but it was never good for me.
Recently I've tried RedPhone, but again network issues and lack of
bandwidth / local servers is a problem.  VoIP can do video without Skype
and there are some VoIP servers that have [at least in the past],
managed to be a gateway to Skype users -- not sure if that was limited
to voice, but it probably was.  I'm sure there must be some other
suitable alternative offering voice and video securely and widely.

Cheers
A.