Skype access cancelled for Debian versions before 7

Hello.

I have found, in the last day, that Microsoft has apparently cancelled
Skype access for versions of Debian before 7.x.

With the error message that I encountered, with my Skype 2.2 (beta)
running on Debian 6, I went to the Skype web site, and found that they
have cancelled access for all but the latest version of Skype, and,
for Debian, it apparently needs Debian 7.x, to run.

No notice (on the Skype mailing list) was given.

I thought that anyone like me, who is running and using Debian 6 (and
anyone using earlier versions of Debian), most of the time, might like
to know.

Insofar as I am aware, no open source equivalent, that works, is
available for Debian 6.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale