Re: Skype access cancelled for Debian versions before 7

Unfortunately, software has bugs.  Some of these bugs are probably very
bad.  I don't work for Microsoft, and I don't use Skype.  In fact, I
haven't used a Microsoft product in many years --- and I would refuse
to use one now mostly on principle.... However, I wouldn't be too
surprised that there's a really good reason for Skype servers to
require a new version to make a call...

I use Debian for nearly everything... I'm sure there's a way to get you
back up and running.  If you are not sure how and need help, you can
certainly ask either here or me directly if you'd like...

On Sun, 3 Aug 2014 08:11:22 +0800
Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:

 On 03/08/2014, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
 > On 03/08/2014, AW <debian.list.tracker@1024bits.com> wrote:
 >>

 > <snip>
 >
 >> So, for many users a Skype client is necessary... unless Microsoft
 >> decided to work on making Skype fully interoperable with other SIP
 >> servers.  Although, I somehow doubt this would ever happen.
 >>
 >> But... To the OP... Debian 6 is no longer a supported version.
 >> Updating shouldn't be too hard as long as the machine is your own.
And >> I seriously doubt anyone can truly expect a new version of a
freely >> offered [not free] software package to be built for a now
unsupported >> OS.

 > I did not expect for a new version of Skype, to be wriiten for me or
 > for Debian 6.

 In case it is not clear, it is not that a new version of the software,
 is not available for Debian 6 - it is that the software that was
 available for Debian 6, that, as I previously said, worked quite
 happily, was killed suddenly, without just cause.

 It is a bit like a street sniper, killing of members of the public -
 "Why did you kill that person? That person did you no harm." "Because
 I can, and, because I like doing it."

 --
 Bret Busby
 Armadale