Re: Jessie early boot failure: "/sbin/init exists but couldn't execute it (error -8)" (initrd corrupt?)

On 2014-07-27 00:48, Brian wrote:
On Sat 26 Jul 2014 at 20:32:32 +0200, Gregor Hoffleit wrote:

I tried different kernels. Same error. Only that the error message
is less specific on 3.2.0 than with 3.1.14: The later always says
"(error -8)".

3.14.1? Please see the date on the link below.

Obviously the error 8 is for ENOEXEC - Exec format error. I wonder
what this could mean. The kernel is i386 (686-pae) and /sbin/init is
as well i386.

Here is the patch:

   https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/10/18/59

I'm still looking forward to hints how to recover from this problem ;-)

Does this count? :)

Sorry that I come back only now.

In the end, the cause of the problem was some hardware problem (/obviously a faulty RAM).

I noticed that an -486 flavor kernel would boot, while -686-pae and -amd64 would stall with this error 8. When I ran memtest, it would indeed find a memory fault. I removed one of the three DIMMs and the error went away (btw, even after reinstalling all DIMMs the memtest error is no longer reproducable).

At this point, the -686-pae and -amd64 flavored kernel would boot again.

I'm facing other problems now (graphics problems and else, I have the impression that the board is fucked up), but this init problem is gone.

Thanks for your help,
    Gregor