Re: Lost high res desktop settings on vbox upgrade to 4.3.14

Klaus <klaus.doering999@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> Could it be that you don't have dkms installed on the virtual machine?
> What response do you get for:
>
> $ apt-cache policy dkms

That was certainly 1 large part of the problem.

That command showed that there was no dkms pkg installed.  So I
installed it.

Then fixed the problem that Yusaku O pointed out:

Yusaku wrote:
,----
| Did you upgrade X Server?
|
| It seems that the X.Org Server version 1.*.99 installed on your jessie.
|
| So I think, maybe you should re-execute VBoxLinuxAdditions.run script
| after upgrade "xserver-xorg-core" package to latest version.
|
| You can check your X Server's version.
|
|   $ Xorg -version
`----

Upgraded the server as suggested.

Then one more part of the puzzle... This may have been on a thread in
a different group but somewhere in my queries someone recommended me
to install the newest (as yet unreleased guest additions 4.3.15) which
I also did.

Put it all together and away we go.... now my resolution increased as
I expand the guest window... all the way up to my monitors 1900 x
1280.  Very nice.

Thank you sir for you kind advice.