Re: Lost high res desktop settings on vbox upgrade to 4.3.14

>>I upgraded vbox from 4.3.10 to 4.3 14.  Now the best screen res I can
>>get in 1024 x 768.   When it was something like 1500 x ????.  Not sure
>>of exact setting but desktop was much larger when I logged in before
>>this upgrade.
>>

> An ISO with guest additions is linked in the final post here:
>
> https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62629
>
> That solved the problem(s) for me.

Thanks for the clear input.

Downloaded and mounted and installed from that iso.

However, after a restart I still have no res choices other than
1024x768.

Maybe this is the reason:

When I do the install, I get a warning that the header files for my
running kernel were not found.

ASIDE showing installed kernel and installed header pkgs:
  NOTE: uname -r
    3.14-1-486

    aptitude search headers |grep ^i

  i   linux-headers-3.14-1-486        - Header files for Linux 3.14-1-486
  i A linux-headers-3.14-1-686-pae    - Header files for Linux 3.14-1-686-pae
  i   linux-headers-3.14-1-all-i386   - All header files for Linux 3.14 (meta-pack
  i A linux-headers-3.14-1-amd64      - Header files for Linux 3.14-1-amd64
  i A linux-headers-3.14-1-common     - Common header files for Linux 3.14-1
  i A linux-headers-3.14-1-common-rt  - Common header files for Linux 3.14-1-rt
  i A linux-headers-3.14-1-rt-686-pae - Header files for Linux 3.14-1-rt-686-pae

(surely one of those installed pkgs has to be the right headers..You'd
think the very first one is it....so why are they not found...)

The next steps are building the modules.... and near as I can tell it
succeeds:

here is the action:

------- ------- ---=--- ------- -------
 NOTE:
  Since I have already installed the iso you'll notice it remove that
  pkg and then re-installs it.

  There is some commentary about xorg driver not being installed that
  might also be why I'm not getting the result you did.

  There seems to be nothing mentioned to indicate any modules failed
  to build so perhaps the bit about the X.org drivers not being
  installed is the main culprit?
-------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------

  (I've marked out the pertinent parts with asterisks).

root # sh  VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing VirtualBox 4.3.15 Guest Additions for Linux............
VirtualBox Guest Additions installer
Removing installed version 4.3.15 of VirtualBox Guest Additions...
Copying additional installer modules ...
Installing additional modules ...
Removing existing VirtualBox non-DKMS kernel modules ...done.
Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel modules

The headers for the current running kernel were not found. If the
following module compilation fails then this could be the reason.

Building the main Guest Additions module ...done.
Building the shared folder support module ...done.
Building the OpenGL support module ...done.
Doing non-kernel setup of the Guest Additions ...done.

You should restart your guest to make sure the new modules are
actually used

Installing the Window System drivers

Warning: unsupported pre-release version of X.Org Server installed.  Not
installing the X.Org drivers.
 ...done.

Installing graphics libraries and desktop services components ...done.