Re: New 64bit Installation. Root partition too small--what to do?

On 07/24/2014 02:16 AM, David Baron wrote:

Going by the subject, I'd say "wipe your system drive and do another install, using what you have learned to do it better."

A better option is to install onto a spare drive, so that you can boot the old drive in case you forgot something. The old drive then becomes your spare for the next go-around.

Yes, indeed. I previously complained about its partitioning with little
capability to revise it!  (I did not use LVM because it put everything in one
big physical partition which I also did not like.)

I use the "manual" partitioning option in the Debian installer.

I have a SOHO with several Wheezy Xfce machines. I don't use LVM, ZFS, RAID, etc., because my needs don't require them, and because I've found that the administrative complexities outweigh the operational benefits.

So, want to install a more recent kernel? No room.

That means the partition containing /boot is full, or nearly so. You need to allocate more space to /boot and/or / (root) when you re-install.

My system drives are partitioned as follows. I don't need to save core dumps in swap, so it is smaller than RAM. I tried running without swap, but my machines crashed under heavy RAM loads:

	primary #1 - 0.5 GB bootable ext4 /boot
	primary #2 - 0.5 GB random encrypted swap
	primary #3 - 8.0 GB encrypted ext4 /

My bulk data fits on one encrypted ext4 drive, which is in one machine and is shared via Samba. The same drive and machine also provides Approx and CVS services. My backups, archives, and system images are on various encrypted ext4 drives that I can plug into any machine (via mobile docks/ caddies and/or external drives). I keep my desktop very light and install Xfce on all the machines, so I can move my desktop to another machine easily.

HTH,

David