Re: New 64bit Installation. Root partition too small--what to do?

On Thursday 24 July 2014 11:16:47 debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> > Yes, indeed. I previously complained about its partitioning with little
> > capability to revise it! (I did not use LVM because it put everything in
one
> > big physical partition which I also did not like.)
> >
> > So, want to install a more recent kernel? No room.
> >
> > While I was able to bind /opt and /usr/local to folders on my /home
partition
> > (which is most all of the disk!), root obviously cannot be so bound. Must
>be available to boot. (No huge loss with no /opt or local available to start
> >
> > So now, what can I do, short of moving everything to another disk (this is
the
> > one which had unwritable block which necessitated the new install!)??
> > Could I move /var like I did /opt, etc (probably a good idea) and move
rootfs
> > to there? Would know how to set it up in lilo but in grub?
> >
> > Must have at least one fully working kernel around before trying any other
and cannot fulfill this at present!

> Download, burn and boot a copy of GParted-Live[1], which is a live-cd for G=
> Parted,
> the partition manager. Use that to shrink your, say, home partition and
> grow your root partition.
>
> Another alternative, if you need minimal downtime and you can unmount
> hour home partition is to shrink that, create a second root partition
> and copy everything onto that, adjust grub to boot the new root
> partition and then delete the old one and grow your home back into the
> recovered space. In other words:
>
>  [--- root ---] [--------------------- home -----------------------]
>  [--- root ---] [------------- home ------------]
>  [--- root ---] [------------- home ------------] [--- new root ---]
>  *** Reboot ***
>                 [------------- home ------------] [--- new root ---]

Had forgotten about that. Used "partition-magic" in windows for years.

Have the kde partition manager and gparted. Using to repartition and format
the old disks for use as backups. One should backup first--how safe are these
utilities (which would be run from the DVD or G-parted-live -- never had any
problems with the old paid partition-magic, no backups back then either).

Anyway, could not format any primary partitions but have logicals available
for backups.

I would shrink, move start of  home, then move and expand everything else in
current order, keeping old root, just bigger. This would be OK, safe?