Re: FWIW: script vs. configurtion file

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 18:20:24 -0400 Steve Litt sent:

> On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 22:20:59 +0100
> Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday 23 July 2014 21:36:23 Curt wrote:
> > > And maybe more somewhere, more rules and regulations we can abuse
> > > and break until we're banned like incurable lepers from the
> > > community.
> >
> > Maybe he is thinking of the DFSG?  Or the Social Contract?
> >
> > Lisi
>
> Hi Lisi,
>
> It couldn't be those, because those say nothing about what topics are
> on or off topic on any list. So far the only specific I've seen was at
> https://www.debian.org/MailingLists/#codeofconduct :

> Non-constructive or off-topic messages, along with other abuses, are
> not welcome.
>
> I think it's intuitively obvious to the most casual observer that a
> discussion of the fins on Mopar products from the 1960's is offtopic
> for Debian, but a discussion of how to write computer programs is
> ontopic to many. Not an hour goes by when I don't use a program I've
> written in order to do my job faster on Debian.
>
> It's like this: I don't use RAID. I just back up, and if a disk goes
> bad (once every 3 years) I just reinstall. I have no interest in RAID
> related posts, but I don't call them offtopic, I just delete them.
> Many people don't write their own programs. That doesn't make those
> who do write their own programs, to help them function better with
> Linux, offtopic.
>
> At least that's how I see it.
>
> SteveT

I must say I agree, though I may be the only other person in the whole
world who thinks so.

Many of the topics on the list don't apply to me, or for that matter,
have little application to my needs. Probably because I am a simple man,
a peasanto, a man of the land.

However, they can still be of interest and sometimes those who expand
on a subject, which I could stand up and declare as off topic for me.
Lead to something that I can use or would like to try as they expand
with someone looking at them from another position and seeing them
differently.

So for me, everything that is used in Debian, and there is much; many
applications, scripts, normal and programming language and even
protracted discussion and quiet statement of opinion on these, has what
appears to my lateral thinking, a natural place on a Debian list.

It is not difficult to use the delete key after all.

Charlie
--
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	Must be out-of-doors enough to get experience of wholesome
	reality, as a ballast to thought and sentiment. Health requires
	this relaxation, this aimless life. ......Henry David Thoreau